Let’s Talk About Riesling
Riesling originated in the Rhine Area of Germany. It is a white grape with floral aromas and high acidity. Rieslings are usually unoaked and range from dry, semi-sweet and sweet. Riesling grapes are also used to make sparkling wines.
Rieslings are cultivated in the Mosel, Rheingau, Nahe and Pfalz areas in Germany. They are also planted in California, Washington, New York, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Austria, Australia & Northern Italy.
Reislings also make delicious late harvest dessert wines or ice wines. These have more sugar, acid, flavor and complexity than earlier harvested wines.
Reislings can be paired with many dishes such as whitefish, pork, spicy Thai and Chinese foods. A great cheese pairing is Butterkase for a regular Riesling or Blue Cheese with a Late Harvest Riesling.
Here are a few of my favorite Rieslings at Pour Vous!:
- Selbach Oster Riesling Spatlese 2013 (Germany) $ 22.99
- Merkelbach Riesling Kabinet 2014 (Germany) 20.49
- Jakob Schneider Riesling Trochen 2015 (Germany) 15.99
- Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling 2014 (Washington) 9.49
- Fetzer Riesling 2103 ((Monterey) 8.99
- Cupcake Riesling 2014 (Germany) 9.99