Here at Pour Vous, we have 16 fresh beers on tap in our beer area. The guys and gals want to send you home with the best tasting beer possible. One of the important ways to make sure you get the best tasting beers out of your growler is proper cleaning. If you are new to growler ownership or just need a refresher, we are here to help.
Luckily, keeping your growler clean is just a few simple steps.
- Fill your growler with hot water and swirl it around. Rinse, and repeat at least 3 times. Take a sniff and you should no longer smell any of the beer.
- Let it air dry, upside down in a dish drainer for a few days.
- Store it in a cool, dark, dry place with the lid off.
(If you decide to wait until later to rinse your growler, just put your empty growler back into the refrigerator. Store it cold until you are ready to do the full rinse.)
Some tips on what not to do with your growler.
- Do not use a wire brush or anything that could damage the growler
- Do not use dish soap. It can leave behind residue that could alter beer taste.
- Do not store your growler until it has completely dried. Leftover moisture is a breeding ground for mold.
- Do not store your growler with the lid tightly secured. Good airflow will keep your growler from smelling musty.
When you are ready to bring your growler in for a fresh fill, give it a quick sniff. It should have no smell inside. If you smell anything funky, you may need to give it a little time in a bleach rinse. If it’s not loosening off of the bottle easily, a soft bottle brush should help. You don’t want to fill a growler with mold or other unknown funky things growing inside!
These are just some of the basic suggestions to keep your growler in tip top shape. We are always happy to help answer any questions you have.